What is a problem?
A problem can be any situation where things are not as they should be or as we wish them to be.
What is a problem solving?
It is creating change to bring actual closer to conditions that are desired.
The term problem solving’ is after used interchangeably with decision making. Decision making is part of the problem solving process. In order to solve the problem, it is necessary to decide what needs to be done and then do it.
What are the benefits of good problem solving?
- Able to recognize and priorities problems better
- reduce stress
- achieve a better way to solve the problem with better results
- able to minimize usage of resources e.g. time, man power, financial
What are the steps you can used for problem solving?
Problem Solving using IDEAL
I – Identify what is the problem/(what causes it)
Ask yourself and/or others
- What exactly is happening?
- Who is involved?
- What are the elements of the problems?
- When does it happen?
- Where does it happen?
D – Describe possible options*
E – Evaluate consequences of each options’ (the pro’s and con’s s-)
A – Act – Choose an option to act upon
L – Learn – Review how well the action was carried out. Praise all efforts (including your own effort)
Tips on good Decision making
- Consider those who are going to be affected by your decision and get them involved right from the start.
- It is helpful to write down your decision making process on paper. Make notes and keep your idea visible so you can consider all the relevant information in making this decision as well as for future references
- Write down all the pro’s and con’s of each options. It helps to clarifies your thinking
- When making a decision you are simply choosing from the options available. This does not necessarily mean making a choice between what is right or what is wrong. Sometimes we have a choice of many ‘right’ to decide upon the best.
- Trust your self to make a decision and recognize that you cannot know with 100% certainty that your decision is correct. Most of the times making incorrect decision is better than not be able to make a decision at all.
- Once the decision has been made don’t look back. Be aware of how it is currently affecting you and focus on your next move. Never regret a decision. It was the right thing to do of that time, now focus on what is right at this time
- Avoid making hasty decision. You should delay making a decision if you do not have enough information.
DECISION MAKING IS A MAJOR PART OF SOLVING A PROBLEM